About the vacancy
R&D Farming is responsible for the execution of research trials designed by breeders, variety developers, nursery or applied research.
- Planning and managing practical operations within the test plot including labour requirements, field cultivation, tunnelling and crop husbandry with guidance from the test plot manager
- Proactively develop new methods of operating that result in better quality and more efficient farming
- Develop written Standard Operating Procedures for test plot activities
- Management of all temporary, seasonal and full time field workers within the test plot, motivating staff and ensuring work is conducted to the right standard
- Ensure sufficient labour availability.
- Ensure field staff have adequate resources and training to perform their duties and be responsible for ordering supplies as necessary
- Be a team player and collaborate with all involved departments.
- Develop a good working environment for all employees.
- Coordinate all cultural practices, picking and data collection tasks in the test plot to secure best data outcomes for breeders and variety developers to make decisions.
- Coordinate all picking tasks for all crops.
- Responsible for executing or coordinating any post-harvest task like flavour tastings or shipping tests.
- Organize servicing, maintenance and repairs of machinery and equipment
- Assist the test plot manager with administering budget plans, adjusting work according to regular updates on expenditure and developing tools for monitoring performance of field staff.
- Maintenance of data entry accuracy.
- Other duties may be assigned by Test Plot or Senior management
- Technical Degree or B.Sc. In Agriculture or related field;
- Experience in management of people and task delegation in a farming environment;
- Experience with management of berry crops preferred;
- English language preferred;
- Microsoft Office proficiency.
Alongside a competitive salary and benefits package, we offer you the opportunity to contribute to the growth of our experienced and ambitious organisation. Our success as a company depends on a creating an enabling environment where our people are energized, motivated, and empowered to perform at their highest level.
Driscoll’s is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll’s is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of passion, humility, and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll’s exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners. Driscoll’s is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries ™