About the vacancy
The purpose of the Rubus and Blueberry Breeding Research Associate role is (1) to provide support to the Variety Development Manager – Southern EMEA in the successful execution of the breeding trials in Iberia. In this position the incumbent will; collaborate with the test plot personnel to ensure proper execution of breeding trials, and ensure accurate evaluation and data collection of post-harvest and fruit quality assessments and management of the flavour assessment program during the season. The incumbent will also be expected to write reports and present results to various audiences. The incumbent may also be required to provide assistance in the execution of diverse research projects as directed by the Variety Development Manager. In addition, this position will assist in the identification of improved plant cultivars and the commercialization of these cultivars under the direction of the breeding department. In partnership with the local Variety Development Manager, the Research Associate will be asked to be an active participant in the global breeding circles for Rubus and Blueberry.
The primary responsibilities of this role, Rubus and Blueberry Breeding Research Associate, are to:
- In collaboration with the Variety Development Manager and Test plot Manager, oversee the planting of new raspberry, blackberry and blueberry material on a yearly basis
- Assist the Test Plot Manager in the creation and the maintenance of testplot maps and plot labels
- In collaboration with the Variety Development Manager and Test plot Manager, manage harvest- data collection with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Collaborate with other team members on flavour assessment program. On a weekly basis, generate list of selections for external and internal flavour tests. Record, analyse and prepare reports.
- Manage post-harvest data collection ensuring that enough data is collected for each plot to ensure accurate phenotyping.
- Assist the Variety Development Manager with additional seasonal projects (organization of workshops, breeding studies etc.)
- Analyse data collected during the season to create presentations and reports as required by the variety Development Manager; identify potential abnormalities in the dataset that require further insight.
- Act as a representative of the raspberry, blackberry and blueberry variety breeding team and present activities and trials results to testplot visitors, in multi-disciplinary meetings and conferences, during- and off season.
- Participate in the raspberry, blackberry and blueberry breeding teams. Provide input and share results with the group.
- Collaborate with the Applied Research Team on a daily basis, provide input and share results
- Represents Driscoll’s in a way that is consistent with Driscoll’s values and mission externally
Your success will be driven by your demonstration of Driscoll’s values. More specifically related to this position, Driscoll’s seeks an incumbent who possesses the following:
- Berry production knowledge including direct experience with soft fruit production.
- Practical experience in farming practices including raspberry, blackberry and blueberry would be an added advantage.
- Excellent organizational skills are required.
- BS with at least 3 years of practical experience in horticulture, or Agronomy;
- Thorough knowledge and work experience in agricultural research will be an added advantage
- Understanding of plant genetics to develop, execute and revise SOP’s to assure high quality test plot experimental execution practices that can be used to generate field data that can accurately guide commercialization decisions regarding new genetics;
- Knowledge in horticultural crop and greenhouse production experience from seedling to harvesting;
- Excellent communication and reporting skills, ability to interact with multicultural team members of various backgrounds
- Flexibility and the adaptation to varying working load conditions (in this position it may be required to work odd hours or during the weekend, depending on the work load and weather conditions)
- The candidate must be self-disciplined and able to work independently
- Given the variety of tasks included in this position, the candidate must be at ease working both in the field and in the lab
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and take initiative
- Experience with database, Excel and Power Point are highly desirable
- High proficiency in English, Spanish, and Portuguese is necessary.
- Some travel within EMEA and eventually America will be required.
Alongside a competitive wage, we offer you the opportunity to contribute to the growth of our experienced and ambitious organisation. Our success as a company hinges on creating an enabling environment where our people are energized, motivated, and empowered to perform at their highest level.
Driscoll’s is developing a strong position in the European berry market led by our EMEA headquarters in The Netherlands. We are a family owned company, established in California, with a true love for berries. Over the years, Driscoll’s has grown to be represented on each continent. We truly believe that our delicious fruits can make any ordinary moment in life more special. Help us to spread the berry joy and become our new team member!
Find out more about our organisation at: www.driscolls.eu
Acquisition regarding this job opening is not appreciated, thank you!