About the vacancy
The UK test plot is one of the most important research and development farms within Driscolls globally. As such, its operation needs to be of the highest standard as it is critical for the future development of the business globally.
We are therefore searching for a professional, flexible assistant manager to help the test plot manager organize the test plot. For this role you will need to have the practical ability and also the desire to take responsibility for day-day farming operations at the test plot. You will have a proven track record of people management on farms along with a great practical understanding of farm machinery.
Duties will include but are not limited to
- management of all temporary field workers within the test plot, motivating staff and ensuring work is conducted to the right standard
- planning and managing practical operations within the test plot including labour requirements, field cultivation, tunnelling and crop husbandry with guidance from the test plot manager
- assist the test plot manager with administering budget plans, adjusting work according to regular updates on expenditure and developing tools for monitoring performance of field staff
- ensure field staff have adequate resources and training to perform their duties and be responsible for ordering supplies as necessary
- organize servicing, maintenance and repairs of machinery and equipment
- proactively develop new methods of operating that result in better quality and more efficient farming
- develop written Standard Operating Procedures for all test plot activities
- other duties may be assigned by Test Plot or Senior management
- BSc in horticulture or a related subject
- have 3 years’ experience of managing teams on commercial fruit farms with demonstrable management skills
- being licensed to operate tractor mounted equipment and apply pesticides (PA1 and PA2) would be an advantage
- be a team player, having an open-minded and flexible attitude, responding positively to different opinions and changing priorities within the test plot
- have good organisational skills and the ability to manage a number of tasks at the same time
- have a flexible attitude to work hours due to the seasonal nature of the crops
- a degree level qualification in horticulture or related subject would be an advantage
Alongside a competitive wage, we offer you the opportunity to contribute to the growth of our experienced and ambitious organisation. Our success as a company hinges on creating an enabling environment where our people are energized, motivated, and empowered to perform at their highest level.
Driscoll’s is developing a strong position in the European berry market led by our EMEA headquarters in The Netherlands. We are a family owned company, established in California, with a true love for berries. Over the years, Driscoll’s has grown to be represented on each continent. We truly believe that our delicious fruits can make any ordinary moment in life more special. Help us to spread the berry joy and become our new team member!
Find out more about our organisation at: www.driscolls.eu
Acquisition regarding this job opening is not appreciated, thank you!