About the vacancy
As an agronomist, you are mainly working independently ‘in the field’, visiting our growers and test plots. With your expertise, you will give advice to growers and test plots in the Netherlands and Belgium regarding strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and blueberry production. You help growers to produce maximum profits by decreasing fruit waste and increasing yield of delightful fruit for our consumers and customers. Next to that, you work very close with applied research, production management, breeding and nursery to make sure we can deliver the finest berries to our customers and to contribute to the optimalization of growing our berries in the nearby future.
- Help define grower’s requirements for Production Guides
- Transfer of knowledge to and from other regions
- Give feedback on needs for applied research in Driscoll’s Test Plots
- Help to grow On Farm Trials to improve new genetic selections performance and ensure their successful commercialization
- Implement new techniques and innovative processes
- Be a connection to Nursery, Breeding and Research
- Help organize field days demonstrations and tours to show high potential (new) genetic selections to growers
- Help update Cultivars and advanced selections Production Guides
- Help consult in growing test plots that support the work of research and breeding departments in the districts. Prepare reports of visits to growers and test plots
- Any other tasks requested by management which is expected to be within the job holders qualities and qualifications
- You will be mainly ‘in the field’ visiting our growers. Therefore, regular travel throughout the region (Netherlands and Belgium) is required.
Education and work experience
- M.S., Bachelor Degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, Plant Breeding, Plant Physiology or a related field
- Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience preferably in berries
- Must have some knowledge of resource usage, plant health and pest pressure assessment, knowledge of soil, substrate, climate and agricultural practices, understand factors that drive sustainability; knowledge required of the management of data from field plots using computers and the necessary computer applications, spreadsheets, email, and internet
- Plant physiology thinking is required
Languages and skills
- Dutch and English fluency is required; French is a pre
- Should be detail- and result-oriented, have effective verbal and written skills, good organizational, math and analytical ability
- Must have a drive towards sustainability
- Must be a self-starter, have the ability to work independently and work well with test plot managers, growers, team members, field workers, and management, and be available to work extended hours when requested
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer programs (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Ability to work with key stakeholders and assist on multiple projects across the enterprise
- Ensure the security of Driscoll’s confidential and proprietary information and materials
- Pragmatic and ability to work under pressure, multi-task and deliver to tight deadlines
We offer you a chance to build a young fast growing brand and be part of an `energetic young’ and winning team that opens doors to a very broad experience with limitless international opportunities for talents. In order to complete your goals, you can count on the support of a professional and global company that finds itself in a structurally growing movement.
Driscoll’s is developing a strong position in the European berry market from their EMEA headquarters in Breda. Our family-owned company operates for over 100 years and we are totally dedicated to berries. Over the years, Driscoll’s, which started out in California, has grown to be represented on each continent. As our dynamic European organization is growing rapidly, we are looking for an ambitious Agronomist for the region of Netherlands and Belgium.